I need to get off Facebook, I really do. If it weren't so darn useful for keeping in contact with friends long-distance, I really would deactivate my account in a second.
I mean, where else can you stalk every person you've ever known (and never known) in one convenient location- complete with pictures, profile information, and if you're really lucky, those infamous Facebook wall arguments that are just oh so hilarious!?
Everything's going great until Susie and Jim from middle school are ENGAGED!!! And there are pictures...of the ring...and kissing...at sunset. Oh, and not to mention Lilly from your old youth group is having a baby and is the most fit pregnant woman of all time. And a little further down the page, Bobby and Sandy and Peter just got into medical school. How fantastic!
And there you sit, glowing green with envy, feeling like a failure of epic proportions. Well, at least that's how I feel sometimes. And don't get me wrong, I think engagements and babies and career success are wonderful (hence the greenish tint and the envy), it's just that I want those wonderful things for my life too.
And sometimes I let the success of others, the blessings that God has poured out on their lives, condemn me in my life.
I get a bit of an attitude with God- after all, could He please hurry up a little bit? I'm falling behind. According to my timeline, I should be married and swimming in career success right now.
If you can relate, let me assure you in this: God has a plan for you. But it's not Susie's or Lilly's or Peter's plan because you're not Susie or Lilly or Peter. You're you.
You know what? I'm not married, I don't have children, and I'm really not sure what I want to do when I "grow up". Maybe by worldy standards, that makes me some kind of failure. But I know I'm right where God wants me, and if this plan is good enough for Him, then it must be good enough for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment