Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Last night, I stayed up late talking to my brother about his future. We are both home on Spring Break, and since we are only together a precious few times these days, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to talk face-to-face. We talked about the long list of schools he's visiting this month as he decides where he wants to begin his doctoral degree and spend the better part of the next decade. He's worked so hard, and I love hearing him talk about his vision for the future.

Following a late night, I woke up early this morning to prepare for an interview of my own. After I overcompensated for my fatigue with far too much coffee and finished my telephone interview, I made a beeline for the treadmill to burn off the nervous energy and attempt to get my hands to stop shaking. Time to dial back the caffeine.

While my brother and I are applying to programs in vastly different fields, we find ourselves in strikingly similar situations. Waiting. What will happen? Will we get into the program we want (well, that's just me...my brother already got into a long list!)? Where will we live? What will it be like? Lots of waiting and lots of questions. I have to admit, it's kinda nice to have a buddy to wait with.

April is a big month for us. Within the first two weeks, we'll both know the answers to many of those questions. But for now, we find ourselves in the in-between. I suppose life is a series of seasons like this. The twenties seems to be especially full of them, but I know they'll be sprinkled through all of life in different forms.

For now, we don't know much about what's coming right around the corner. All we know is that at our house, change is in the air.

A verse that is of great comfort today is this:
Hebrews 13:8- "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."

I'm not great with change, and I've got the track record to prove it. Even so, I find my confidence and courage in knowing that the True Foundation never changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment