Sunday, August 19, 2012

For Now and Always

The following is an excerpt from Jesus Calling, a year-long devotional book by Sarah Young. This book is written as if Jesus is talking to you and me.

August 14th
"I am yours for all eternity...The world you inhabit is a place of constant changes--more than your mind can absorb without going into shock...I, however, am the same yesterday and today and forever. Because I never change, your relationship with Me provides a rock-solid foundation for your life. I will never leave your side...You have nothing to fear, because I am with you for all time and throughout eternity."

Psalm 102:25-27
Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end.

Do you ever long for the peace and assurance that comes with KNOWING that no matter what, you will never be alone? That no matter what happens- sickness, health, failure, success, death, life, despair, hope, heartbreaks, joys, and anything else- you never have to grieve or celebrate alone?

I think that's what we all long for- after all, we are relational people. We crave that stability desperately. We may seek it in family relationships, friendships, or romantic relationships. I know I long for that, especially now in this uncertain, awkward, and scary stage vaguely referred to as "young adulthood."

If this is what you long for, did you know that the ONLY person who can offer it to you is Jesus Christ?

Family, friends, and romantic partners cannot truly offer these things. These are all human relationships, and as such, they are subject to all human frailties- misunderstandings, unfaithfulness, sickness, death, distance, and a multitude of other things. These relationships are good things, but they cannot be our foundation. If you build your foundation on humanity, what will you do when your foundation is subject to sin or sickness or even death? Will you crumble?

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy, but isn't it better to build your foundation on the rock, not the sand? And wouldn't it be a tragedy to miss out on Christ's invitation to an eternity of sweet and sure communion with Him?

No doubt there will be many blessings along the way-- deep and meaningful relationships with people...relationships that are meant to help us through the hard times and celebrate with us in the victories. But we cannot abandon our True Foundation.

We will never be alone because He will walk with us through every moment of this life, and then He will lead us on into eternity. So rest assured in this promise. You are never, ever, alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment