Here is my Raleigh Fellows post for November...
**If you'd like to view my posts directly on the Raleigh Fellows website, the address is http://raleighfellows.com/category/blog/. You can also view the blog entries from the 9 other Raleigh Fellows!...
"Today, on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I am sitting in a nice comfy chair at my host home. I should be at work, but I’m sick today, so I’m taking some unanticipated free time to write my blog before I head home to Knoxville, Tennessee tomorrow. Today, I’m feeling something besides my stuffy nose, my headache, and a little bit of fever. I’m feeling contemplative and very thankful.
I’ve been in Raleigh now for about two and a half months, and I’m overwhelmed by the gifts I’ve been given in this incredibly unique and special season of life. So in honor of the Thanksgiving spirit (my very favorite holiday), I’d like to take a moment to remind myself (and the blogging world) of all the reasons I have to be thankful this year.
I am thankful for my Fellows director, Ashley Crutchfield, who is always full of energy, fun, wisdom, kindness, and generosity. I am also thankful for her husband, Sam, who pours into us each Thursday night at our roundtable discussions and at other times throughout our Fellows experience.
I am thankful for my Fellows class: I am thankful for…
Katuschka because she teaches me about honesty, authenticity, and lightheartedness…and because she keeps me company at work.
Lexi because she is sensitive and responsive to the needs of others, and because she works so hard to lead the youth group well.
Halie because her kind heart, sweet hugs, and encouraging words lift my spirit on days that aren’t so easy.
Kaycee because she speaks truth into our group and isn’t afraid to love us enough to be honest with us.
Annie because she is full of life and laughter and loves each of us deeply…and because she makes me do crazy things (see first blog).
Ellison because he shares his wise words, strong convictions, and servant leadership with each of us…especially in times of conflict.
Brad because he chooses his words carefully and always uses them to edify the group…and because he’s full of surprises.
Will because he is a natural leader and discerner and is using his gifts to push and challenge the group toward Christ.
David because his heart for service and for loving people is evident every day…and because his easy-going personality brings peace.
I am thankful for my host family, the Youngs. I am thankful for Matt‘s leadership, selflessness, and dedication to his family. I am thankful for Marilyn‘s sensitivity to the Lord and to each of the people in her home. I am thankful for Tucker and his kind heart…and his love of sports, even if we don’t agree on the team. I am thankful for Hannah and her willingness and ability to express love so freely…in the form of “jump hugs” and endless games of UNO. I am thankful for Virginia and her sweet smile and wave whenever I walk in the room. I am thankful for a home where I feel safe, loved, and included.
I am thankful for my mentor, Marsha Whyte, who faithfully plans our coffee dates, always insists on paying, and listens to my caffeinated rants on what’s new in my life. I am thankful for a mentor who understands so much of who I am and who I want to be.
I am thankful for my job at StepUp Ministry and for all my fellow fellows-affiliated coworkers- Taylor, Sarah, Katuschka, and Elizabeth. It is a privilege and an honor to work at a nonprofit with such a noble and Christ-centered mission statement and executive leadership.
I am thankful for the opportunity to serve at Neighbor to Neighbor as a mentor for a sweet and bright fifth grader. I look forward to our hour of math mentoring together every week!
I am thankful for the leadership at Apostles…for Curt, Kara, and Lexi. Their hearts for students and for serving the Lord are evident at every youth event. I am also thankful for my small group co-leader, Byerly Graves, who demonstrates dedication, fun, understanding, and love to me each week in small group. I am thankful for Cate, Allison, Kristen, and Hannah- for their active participation, honest questions, love for each other, and acceptance of me into their small group. It is always a special time when we can be together.
I am thankful for Patrick, Ford, and Eric- for their leadership at Church of the Apostles and for opening up their homes, their lives, and their time to each of the fellows and student leaders. It means the world to have pastors who know my name.
I am thankful for Jason, Mary, Curt, Ray, and Eric (and all our guest teachers) for giving up their time each week to meet with the fellows and to teach us about counseling, spiritual formation, leadership, worldview, and the apostles’ creed. I am learning so much already, and I know they are all very busy people with much on their plates besides making time to teach.
I am sure there is much more for me to be thankful for here in Raleigh, but even this is already overwhelming to me! The Lord has truly poured out his blessings on me this year, and I will be thankful.
James 1:17
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Happy Thanksgiving!"
Nancy
No comments:
Post a Comment