Friday, August 16, 2013

Being the World to One

Raleigh Fellows January post...

My blog posts are usually a bit wordy (so I’m told), so today I’m gonna be short and sweet.

I stumbled across a quote in the past week (and for the life of me can’t remember where I was or who said it):

“To the world, you may just be one person, but to one person, you may be the world.”

This quote really resonated with me. It’s so simple, yet so very true. Sometimes, in the ordinary or mundane day-to-day tasks, I just don’t feel very important. I don’t feel like what I do really matters. I need a fresh perspective.

I see the wonder of this most often in my job. I work at StepUp Ministry, and I’m on the phones most of the day. I get to tell potential participants all about our programs and sign them up for our workshops. I’m learning SO MUCH, but sometimes I wonder if my 27th phone conversation really matters. After all, I’m explaining the same program over and over again. Does it really make a difference?

Usually, I’ll end up being reminded that it DOES matter- because the person on the phone will tell me just HOW MUCH it matters to them- matters that I took the time to call, that I clearly explained our programs, that I patiently answered their questions, and that I did all of this with a cheerful voice.

In those moments, I’m so humbled by the privilege that my job affords me to represent StepUp Ministry in offering hope to so many people each day. I am reminded that what I do matters- it matters the first time and the 101st time.

And what you do matters, too.

Nancy Childers

No comments:

Post a Comment